23 Oct Five ways to make your rental property more energy efficient
Making your rental property energy efficient is a win-win. If your renters pay their own utility bills, they can save on energy costs and you can advertise your rental unit as “energy efficient” to draw in perspective tenants.
Here are five ways you can make your rental property more energy efficient:
- Install Energy Star appliances. Energy Star (Energy Star is the government-backed symbol for energy efficiency) products are independently certified for energy savings. The appliances by Energy Star save on money as well as protect the environment. You can find many appliances for your rental unit that are Energy Star certified including washer/dryer units, dishwashers, refrigerators, freezers, HVAC systems, waters heaters, ceiling fans and more.
- Use programmable thermostats. You can encourage your tenants to keep energy costs in check by installing programmable thermostats. By setting the thermostat to energy efficient settings, the unit will remain at a comfortable temperature but will only run when necessary, saving money.
- Consider installing a tankless water heater. A tankless water heater can save 25% or more on energy bills. The tankless water heater heats and provides hot water only as needed. It does not store hot water and uses far less energy than the traditional tank water heater.
- Switch lighting to energy-efficient light bulbs. Here is an easy and inexpensive way to save money in your rental unit; simply switch to energy efficient light bulbs. Energy efficient light bulbs are labeled as CFL and LED bulbs. Prices on energy efficient light bulbs have dropped drastically in recent years, making it a more affordable and energy efficient lighting option.
- Weatherize your unit by caulking and sealing any cracks or openings to the outside. Air leaks are one of the greatest energy costs in any rental unit or home. Sealing up air leaks can save as much as 20% on heating and cooling bills!
It’s not as difficult as it may sound to make a rental unit energy efficient and in the long run, the benefits far outweigh the costs. Purchasing a rental unit? Let us handle the closing. We have affordable rates and efficient service! Contact us for your consultation.